MUSCLE GAIN..WHAT ARE THE KEYS TO SUCCESS?
July 14, 2016
One of the most common goals that people in the gym have is gaining lean muscle mass. Chest, arms, shoulders, are amongst the areas of the body people (mostly men) want to develop. I thought that I would use today’s blog post to give some general rules of the road for gaining muscle mass. The best way to ensure you achieve your specific fitness goals is to work with a Tapout Fitness NASM certified personal trainer, or to join our ongoing fitness consultation program, but here are some basic pointers to get you moving in the right direction.
- For body building, you should be on a split routine. Structure your workouts around training several muscle groups per day. Ideally you would split your routine into 3 days, training 2 or 3 muscle groups per session, with each group getting trained 2 times per week, with 1 rest day.
- When you’re trying to gain size, you should focus on doing lower rep ranges, usually in the 6 to 10 rep per set range.
- Rest should be minimal, approx. 30 to 45 seconds between sets.
- You should perform 3 to 4 sets per exercise, and 3 to 4 exercises per major muscle group.
- Expect a training session to take between 30 and 60 minutes, with approx. 45 to 50 minutes being a fairly average time frame.
- Cardio training is far less important than resistance training if your goal is to gain muscle mass, and in some cases may be counterproductive.
- Each training session should begin with a foundation exercise, consisting of a single joint movement (IE bench press, shoulder press, bicep curl, triceps extension, squat, deadlift, etc) and should end with a compound exercise (IE lateral raise, seated row, concentration curl, etc). Additional rest should be taken in between foundation sets, with shorter rest ranges in between compound sets.
- Diet is key, you should be consuming approx. 1.5 grams of quality protein for every Kilogram of your target body weight.
- Ensure you get on a good protein/meal replacement supplement. This is key to maintaining the proper every 3 hour clean calorie distribution you need, as well as getting enough protein.
- Following all the above, you can expect to gain 5 to 10 pounds of quality muscle mass per month for the first 6 months or so after you start your body building routine. After that the gains will begin to slow down. This can be combated by changing up your workout plan, and adding additional supplements like creatine.
I hope that this post helped all you Norcross, Alpharetta, Dunwoody, Peachtree Corners, Duluth, Chamblee, Doraville, Johns Creek, Brookhaven, and Atlanta residents in your quest for a better body. Don’t forget that if you’re looking for a 24/7/365 access full service fitness center that offers tanning, supplement retail, high quality personal training, boxing, kickboxing, MMA, BJJ, Kids Karate, boot camps, yoga, and all at the highest level of quality and all for a near economy gym price, come and see us at Tapout Fitness Norcross. I promise you will not be disappointed.